Back to School Information
Welcome Back & School Updates
We hope you have had a wonderful summer and look forward to a great new school year!
The first day of school is Thursday, September 7th, 2017
School begins at 8:20am each day and drop-off procedures vary by grade:
- Pre-K and Kindergarten students are dropped off in their classrooms.(Please use exit 8 – end of driveway – to enter/exit the school building.)
- 1st graders are dropped off the cafeteria. For the first weeks of school, 1st grade parents are welcome to wait in the cafeteria with their child.
- Grades 2 – 5 are dropped off in the school yard.
School is dismissed at 2:40pm on full days and 11:40am on half days. Dismissal procedures also vary by grade:
- Pre-K and K students are dismissed from their classrooms.
- Grades 1-5 are dismissed from the school yard.
Note that these procedures change during inclement weather days. See the website for more details.
First Week of School Schedule
The first day of school for all grades is Thursday, September 9. Below is the dismissal schedule for September 7 – 11 :
- Thursday, September 7:
- Pre-K & Kindergarten: 11:40am dismissal
- Grades 1 thru 5: 2:40pm dismissal
- Friday, September 8:
- Pre-K: 11:40am dismissal
- Grades K thru 5: 2:40pm dismissal
- Monday September 11:
- All Grades (Pre-K thru 5): 2:40pm dismissal
What to bring:
School supplies (please look for your class lists, if you cannot find your class list, you may check in the School Main Office with questions at 212-678-2854 or contact respective class teachers.
While there is no program for parents, members of the PTA executive board will be at school to greet them and to sell new spirit wear.
Deadline to submit: September 15th, 2017
Summer Math Challenge: Please contact Ms Seigel (Lower Grade Science) at Msseigal@ps163m.org if you have any questions
Summer Scholars challenge: For extra copies of the materials, you can go to https://sites.google.com/site/163summerscholars/
Here are other important dates in September
- Curriculum night (“Meet the Staff”) is on September 13th 4:30 – 7:30 p.m.
- The first PTA meeting is Wednesday, September 20th at 8:00 am.
- Rosh Hashanah (School Closed)- September 21st- September 22
- Summer Challenge Celebration – September 29th
Please join us to meet your classroom teacher, learn about class routines, homework, clusters and much more. More information on scheduling and presentations will be provided the first week of school
Class Parent Volunteers. We need volunteers from each class to take the lead in communicating to parents, help plan field trips and class celebrations, coordinate parent volunteers and act as a PTA liaison. Look for sign-up sheets in your classroom or speak to your child’s teacher.